Monday, February 25, 2013

Any person, in possession of an internet connection, must be in want of entertainment


As technology expands, so do the various mediums available to produce new forms of entertainment. But something that I rarely seen reviewed are web series/shorts. "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries" is a scripted web series on YouTube produced by Hank Green of Vlogbrothers' fame. The series is a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice told through the video blogs of Jane Austen's heroine, Lizzie Bennet (Ashley Clements). Various spin-off videos serve as parallel narratives, including "The Lydia Bennet"  and "Maria of Lu."  

There are currently ninety-one episodes and the story is close to coming to an end (at least to the point where Austen's book ends). Sometimes waiting for major plot points and sitting through various filler episodes can grow tedious, but ranging anywhere from two to eight minutes it's easy to just keep clicking next. The acting is well-done, especially for a series on YouTube and the writers have come up with exceptionally clever ways to transverse Austen's 19th century world of balls and betrothals and our techno-savvy world where talking to an audience of thousands through blogs and social media is easier than personal contact. The series is great fun for fans of Austen, but really anyone can pick it up and enjoy the characters and follow along with the story.    

But I suppose things like "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries" makes me wonder where mini web series fit into the canon of arts and entertainment. Do we treat them like television shows or do we have to account for their online platform and production values? 

2 comments:

  1. I've heard about "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries" and have been curious about it. This made me want to go watch them. I really like the way you explore this new form of mini-series and engagingly describe the show. It's interesting and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany,

    This is really interesting - I suppose I've heard of mini-series, although I've never watched any. I feel I'm rather horrible at keeping up with all types of media ... oops! I would imagine they should be treated as television shows? Maybe I should check it out before making such a decision though. (You pretty much sold me at "it's easy to keep clicking next")

    ReplyDelete